Saturday 6 February 2010

Why should you get a wedding film?

Over the last little while, I’ve had people ask me the same questions about { First Kiss Films } time and time again. So, I thought it might be helpful to post some answers here.

Why should I get wedding film?
Investment. You hear that word a lot but having just gotten married last year I’ve learned that one of the most important decisions you can make is to have your wedding day artfully documented. The day is over so quickly and there are moments that you will surely miss. Your wedding is truly only one day but it is your images that are captured that day that will last a lifetime.

Why shoot on film?
There is a reason film has stuck around for over 100 years. Film is unmatched by any other medium and nothing compares to the beautiful, rich and warm image it creates. Just watch the online sample and see for yourself.

I’ve already hired a photographer, do I still need a wedding film?
Yes! One cannot replace the other. A wedding film captures the subtle nuances and emotions you’ll experience, not just single moments in time. Both will be cherished as loving memories, but the static frame alone cannot contain the energy and beauty that exists on that day.

What makes you as a wedding filmmaker unique?
1) You are hiring a true artist. I’ve been an active film artist producing and exhibiting my work worldwide since 1997.

2) I use high-quality materials. I also not only shoot Super 8mm but also with 16mm film which is four times the resolution of 8mm and creates a stunning image that is still used by many film and television producers.

3) My gender. Filmmaking is still a male-dominated profession. But I feel being a woman gives me an advantage. I understand what a bride is looking for in her wedding day images and how to create the most flattering imagery. Another bonus: I can be with the bride the entire day and blend in as just one of the girls leaving everyone at ease. I adore what I do and just love making couples happy.

What got you into filmmaking?
I think creativity is one part genetics and one part environmental. Both my parents are creative and they encouraged us (and continue to do so) to be creative. And it paid off. Both my sister and I are artists and our creativity flows effortlessly.

My dad is the reason I make wedding films. He experienced much of our lives through a camera lens and documented our early years on Super 8mm film and then transitioned to video. He taught us the joy and importance of recording the big and little moments in life.

How long have you been shooting weddings?
Since I was fourteen years old. Obviously not full-time since then and I’ve used various mediums to document people’s weddings over the years (video, 35mm film, & later motion picture film). While I was a teenager my dad began shooting weddings just because he loved to do it (gosh, it is genetic!) and it gave him a chance to play with new technology.

The first time I shot a wedding was with my dad and I was working as the second camera unit for a huge Italian wedding. I helped him shoot weddings for a few years and then while attending university when I got really into still photography I began using the still frame to capture weddings.

And today? You could say I have combined the above experiences with my work as a film artist by using the medium that I love love love working with to make wedding films. It’s been a fabulous but long road to get here but I am thrilled that I’ve found my true calling.

Will you travel?
Indeed! Plus I don’t charge anything extra for travel other than the basic cost of transportation and accommodation.

No comments:

Post a Comment